Early February - Blustery & Grey

Early February - Blustery & Grey
Newly dug over square beds 07/02/11

Friday 11 March 2011

Busted

There's not been much allotment activity over the last couple of weeks due to a combination of bitterly cold winter and a Star Wars Jedi Academy birthday party for my now five year old son. Creating a life-sized Jabba the Hutt head and a Pin the Lightsaber on Yoda game took preference over digging and planting. So except for a tray of tomatoes, cucumbers and flat-leaf parsley being seeded & sprouting*, it's been very quiet.

I'd almost given up on the 5 pots of leek seeds that I'd planted on the 17th and 20th of February, but on Tuesday I came home to find a wealth of tiny seedlings pushing their weenie green heads through the compost. Nestled snugly in my four tier plastic greenhouse the little chaps looked in good health and I was felling warm, excited and quite pleased with myself in equal measures. The prospect of 3 or 4 rows of leeks would quicken the heart of any allotmenteer.

So coming home last night to find that a malicious supernatural wind had blown over my greenhouse** - not only crippling a tray of 5" tall sweetpeas, but decimating the whole collection of 60+ leek seedlings - was a cruel and heavy blow.


I tried in vain to save some - I have about 8 left in a pot and they look worse for wear.

So we start again from scratch... I've planted some more up in a few pots and now plan to plant some more in the coldframe up at the allotment in order to give them a headstart and attempt to play catch-up.


* My Hungerian Hotwax chilli peppers have so far failed to germinate :(
** Considering the greenhouse was weighed down at the bottom with some big heavy pots and a bag of compost I can only conclude it was a gust born of supernatural forces!

3 comments:

Jono / Real Men Sow said...

Traumatic pictures Neil, heart goes out to you.

Good luck with the new leeks. I'm sure there is time for them still, I haven't got mine sown yet.

Jeffrey said...

I sow my leeks in june/july and am still harvesting them, they will wilt during frosts and pick up as soon as the temperature lifts. I set chilli peppers in May and still can get a good greenhouse crop. Have just finished sprouts but have a lot of potatos still in storage.

Paul and Melanie said...

If it's any consolation, I had some chilli seedlings in the greenhouse last year that took about a month to germinate, I'd actually given up on them and had stopped watering them when they suddenly appeared...
Sorry to hear about the greenhouse too, that happend to me a couple of years ago with a very similar greenhouse, it was one reason I upgraded to a glass one...